Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Supa Soup! (Snoop a Loop?)

Happy Tuesday!

I'm finally just starting to get back into the swing of things for the second semester, which means no more AM yoga at 11am, Today Show marathons (so long, Ann Curry), or borrowing my friend's treadmill for a 2pm run on a Wednesday. It feels nice to have more of an actual schedule, though - hopefully that means fitting in an actual training plan for this 1/2 marathon I'm supposedly running in April. Ohhh, goals. So easy to set, yet so hard to fulfill when you can watch EVERY SINGLE episode of LOST online.

But I'm excited!! New running shoes coming in the mail soon, and warmer weather on its way *fingers crossed*. Until then, New England will probably be graced with pretty fat white snowflakes that quickly turn to slippery slush, that then require a "galoshes only" rule for outdoor adventures. What a great opportunity to cook up some hot, healthy, and hearty homemade soup! Today I had a few hours between class shopping to come home and cook Ross & I an early lunch. The soup I made was SO easy and really quite divine. And I have to admit, I've had soup on the brain ever since! If you think about it, the options are literally quite limitless: vegan, spicy, chock-full-of-vegetablesy, proteiny, you name it. And... you can bring it to work/school in a cute thermos the next day! Hooray!

So I will make it my end-of-winter quest to come up with some adventurous, delicious, and SIMPLE Supa Soup Snoop a Loop recipes to share. Get at me if you have a fave of your own. And bring your green hat!

Chicken Apple Sausage Soup
adapted from www.marthastewart.com


Ingredizzles
Pasta of your choice (preferably whole-wheat)
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
Veggies of your choice, frozen or fresh (try lima beans, carrots, peas, spinach...)
6 ounces of organic low-fat chicken-apple sausage (about 2 links), cut up
2 handfuls of chopped fresh basil
Freshly baked cornbread (optional)*

Drop It Like Its Hot (Soup)
Cook pasta al dente, according to package directions
Drain pasta and let sit in colander
In the same saucepan you used to cook the pasta, simmer the broth over medium heat
Add veggies - if frozen, cook for 5 minutes
Add sausage and pasta, cook until heated through
Remove from heat, stir in basil

Serve immediately or transfer to an adorable thermos for lunch that day! Try some grated Parmesan on top after you've re-heated.

*I love cornbread, so I baked up some muffins by totally cheating and using a mix. But finding a great from scratch recipe would be totally worth it! Like this healthy version.

Bon Appetit!

And please please PLEEZ share your fave soup du jour...
à bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment