Saturday, February 13, 2010

Gym & Omelets: CONQUERED



Not Your Average Jane has has Not Your Average Amount of SchoolWork to do, so please accept my most sincere apologies for lack of blogging lately. Y'all know I love to blog-it-out.

But let's get past our little silent treatment episode, because I have happy news to share with you on this Valentine's Weekend. After being a member of the Harvard gym for over month, I have considered it CONQUERED. Yes, that's right folks, I have defeated the annoying treadmill sign-up rules. Then, I did a little high-kick and surmounted the impervious, testosterone-soaked nature of the (gasp) weight room. And when I mean soaked with testosterone, I'm not kidding. Those dudes sweat a lot.

But, today, after wrapping up a fabulous run on the treadmill (which was 12 minutes over the time limit for treadmills, *high fives* for beating the system), I felt like a billion bucks (which is more than a million, FYI). So down I went, and sweat along with the best of them. Good feeling!

This effort left me completely ravenous, of course, so when I got home from the gym I set my mind on making a scrumptious, healthy egg white omelet. And... I. Did. It. For someone who is hardly able to deftly maneuver a spatula over medium-high heat, this is indeed a Big Deal. To boot, it was freakin' good, guys. Like eat-at-the-kitchen-counter-so-I-don't-have-to-wait-30-seconds-to-bring-it-to-the-table-good.

Post-Gym Egg White Omelet for Lovers (it's Valentine's Day, dudes)
1/2 cup egg whites (from about 3 large eggs)
salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup green peppers, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
handful of shredded cheddar cheese (no orange nastiness, plz)
salsa
1/2 pitted & cubed avocado

heat 1 tsp of olive oil in 8" frying pan on medium-high heat (heat that sucker up good)
whisk eggs, s&p, water
pour into hot pan
let set: scrape sides of pan w/rubber spatula every so often, letting mixture spill under
after ~2 or 3 min, sprinkle cheddar, green pepper, & red onion on top
carefully fold in 1/2 and immediately transfer to plate
top with salsa & avocado


...eat it at the kitchen counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment